Now in its 17th year as a non-profit organization, Harmony, Hope & Healing supports individuals and families as they heal from traumas associated with homelessness, addiction, incarceration and isolation. The organization provides music classes for adults, children and families, and adult choir rehearsals at shelters, residential programs, drug treatment centers, community centers and Cook County Jail. Through the music-based curriculum, participants learn and practice appropriate ways to relieve stress, express emotions and develop positive relationships while building effective communication skills to advocate for themselves and their families.
In 2019, Harmony, Hope & Healing provided direct services to over 1,200 individuals at fourteen sites in the Chicagoland area. As a part of Community Engagement programming, the Harmony, Hope & Healing Choir and staff presented 44 performances and workshops. These events touched the hearts of over 28,000 audience members while highlighting the struggles, strength, growth and resiliency of our program participants.
For more information, please visit: http://www.harmonyhopeandhealing.org
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
Harmony, Hope & Healing is seeking a dynamic Executive Director, who will serve as the organization’s leader, supporting and carrying out its mission, vision, strategic plans, and policies. S/he will oversee the overall management and operations of the organization, including board development, resource development, financial, marketing, and communications activities. Together with the Harmony, Hope & Healing Board and Staff, the Executive Director will lead and excel at building relationships which will enable our organization to strategically grow its effectiveness and reach.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Providing leadership to promote the vision, mission, and values of Harmony, Hope & Healing ensuring that programs move towards the achievement of the mission and support the needs of the participants and partner organizations.
- Building positive relationships with partner organizations, policymakers, media, and other stakeholders.
- Representing the organization by participating in key associations and organizations, serving on committees and advisory groups, and speaking in public settings.
- Communicating with the Board of Directors and serving as the strongest link between the board, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Working with the Board to recruit and orient potential board members.
- Developing a staffing structure that supports the efficient delivery of programs and services including the accomplishment of the major goals identified in the strategic plan, and effective overall management.
- Hiring, leading, and motivating staff. Managing the implementation of personnel policies approved by the Board, and the staff performance review process.
- Negotiating and administering contracts and grants, and maintaining all ongoing relationships.
- Overseeing the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services that support the mission of Harmony, Hope & Healing (HHH).
- Leading the Staff and Board in developing a realistic annual budget, and making financial decisions consistent with the budget as approved by the Board.
- Providing regular, timely internal financial statements to the Board that compare performance to budget and to the previous year or other benchmarks
- Planning for adequate cash flow to cover operational needs.
- Conducting multiyear financial analysis, analyzing trends, and engaging the Board in strategic discussions about financial stability and sustainability, including the development of adequate operating reserves.
- Complying with all local, state, and federal legal requirements.
- Leading fundraising efforts, including supporting the Board’s involvement in fundraising, personally cultivating and soliciting donors, and supervising the implementation of fundraising plans and policies approved by the Board.
- Implementing an effective development plan and serving as the primary organizational spokesperson for donors.
- The ideal candidate will have an appreciation of the importance and role of music in improving the lives of the marginalized people who are the constituents of Harmony, Hope and Healing. Formal music training and a high level of comfort with choral conducting, and presenting in various public venues is strongly preferred. Strong communication skills are required.
- The successful candidate will have 3-5 years of experience in a leadership position with a non-profit organization, and experience working with marginalized individuals. Responsibilities will have included strategic thinking and opportunities to represent the organization to segments of the public and/or partner organizations. S/he will also have documentable supervisory and program development/implementation responsibilities. The candidate will also have experience with donors, foundations, and other stakeholders. A bachelors’ degree is required; a masters’ degree is preferred.
- Harmony, Hope & Healing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic orientation, disability, marital status, or veteran status.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Please submit your cover letter and resume electronically to:
Subject line: Executive Director Role
Harmony, Hope & Healing
703 W. Monroe
Chicago, IL 60661