ENROLLMENT HAS BEGUN FOR THE 2020 CHAMBER MUSIC CA...
Posted: Jul, 26, 2017
P.O. Box 495, Naperville, IL, 60566
The OPUS Chamber Music Camp, in its 18th year, is for violin, viola, cello, contrabass, flute, clarinet, oboe, harp, and piano studying students from age 8 to 18. The dates are August 2 to August 8, 2020. Classes are held on the campus of North Central College (NCC), Naperville. The final “Listen to Our Young Artists” concert will be on August 8th at Wentz Concert Hall on the North Central campus. Registration is open on OPUS website.
Your registration requires that you submit your Audition Video(s) and pay the $30 application fee. Complete instructions for the admissions process can be found here. The audition requirements are posted on the website under Camp Auditions. Registration will end on June 12th, 2020. Scholarships are available via application; the deadline for scholarship applications is June 5th.
After acceptance, except those who come as a pre-formed group, you will be matched by your skill level and grade with other campers into a small chamber ensemble of 3 to 5 players and music will be assigned. Your chamber, orchestra, Flash Mob (if you sign up for it), and some Senior Camp instrument choir music will be made available to you 3 to 4 weeks ahead of the camp for you to practice.
- Here are some of the reasons you may want to join the OPUS Chamber Music Camp:
- To be further inspired in your music study by playing chamber music with friends and those you have not met previously;
- To be challenged by chamber music’s independent and responsible part, striving to blend in your ensemble and perform well;
- To enjoy the variety of workshops at the Camp, including Arts Connections that initiates and develops your own music creativity in composition, arranging, electric instrument, theory, improvisation or videography. To expand knowledge of world music in a music culture workshop and increase music knowledge in a Quiz Bowl.
- To also participate in some of the larger ensembles such as string orchestra and the Flash Mob ensemble, and Senior Campers’ string choirs, and instrument ensembles.
- To be coached by some of OPUS’ 30 renowned and seasoned chamber music educators and performers on a group by group basis.
- To become a chamber music lover, like the 16 others last year who attended the OPUS Chamber Music Camp four times or more.
For returning campers – New in 2020:
- Campers can invite friends to Wentz Concert Hall in Friday afternoon’s OPEN HOUSE.
- Arts Connections – Music Theory for Senior Campers; and Improvisation for Junior Campers.
- Non-string Seniors will not have the Handbell Choir; but instead their instrument ensembles (4-hand piano for example). Junior Campers will ring handchimes.
- FlashMob will be optional (after camp hour, 40 min on Mon, Tues and Thurs, plus one public performance).
- Orion Recital and Ice Cream Social on Wednesday at the end of the camp hour.
The OPUS Music Camp has various components and classes for parents, siblings, relatives, and friends to participate as well. It is aimed at giving campers the ultimate fun!