Visitor Services Associate / Volunteer Coordinator...
Posted: Jul, 06, 2016
Art Advocates - Job Posting - Miscellaneous
150 S. Cottage Hill Ave, Elmhurst, IL, Unknown
Part-time. 10-15 hours per week.
Weekends hours as needed. Schedule may be flexible, subject to supervisor approval.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Elmhurst Art Museum is looking for a personable and enthusiastic candidate with excellent customer service and sales skills to represent the Museum as the first point of contact with guests onsite and on the phone. This is an important position on the Museum team with responsibility for creating a positive visitor experience for visitors. Additional responsibilities for this role include managing volunteer and docent schedules.
The Visitor Services Associate will work closely with the Manager of Membership and Visitor Services to ensure the museum is supervised and maintained during regular museum hours, including public programs and special after-hours events. Volunteers will be scheduled to help monitor galleries, provide additional staffing for educational programs, and special museum programming such as Museum Day. This role includes coordinating with trained docents and the museum’s Education Department to schedule group tours for rewarding guest experiences.
The Museum is located in Elmhurst (IL), 14 miles from Chicago’s West Loop, easily accessible by public transportation on the Metra. It is an exciting time to join the Museum as we embark on expanded programming and exhibitions focused on modern and contemporary art and design, including the restoration of one of only three houses in the US designed by Mies van der Rohe.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Greet visitors and processing admission fees at entry
- Provide enthusiastic customer service by answering questions about the museum exhibitions, merchandise, public programs and other inquiries
- Answer and direct incoming calls
- Proactively upgrade visitors to members by informing guests of all membership benefits
- Process membership discounts for classes and gift shop merchandise
- Register students for Museum Education Programs
- Supervise museum galleries for incidents
- Provide exemplary sales assistance in the Museum Shop
- Coordinate with other staff to assess needs and schedule volunteer assistance during weekends and special activities
- Work with the Director of Education and Exhibitions Manager to recruit and schedule docents for school groups, adult tours, and regular McCormick House programs
- Participate in monthly volunteer docent events including orientation and training on new museum exhibits
- Coach volunteers and docents on best practices and ways to better educate museum guests
- Maintain the appearance of the Museum’s café and other public areas with light housekeeping duties
- Communicate and/or pro-actively address facility maintenance concerns
- Open and close the museum when needed
- During times of low visitor attendance or gallery closings provide administrative support and other staff as needed
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Two or more years of college or related experience
- Proven success in managing and achieving superior retail results
- Previous retail, front-of-house restaurant or customer service experience
- Knowledge of software including Windows, Google Drive and Microsoft Office, iPad POS
- Ability to multitask (i.e. explain Museum content while processing transactions).
- Willingness to work weekends, holidays, and some evenings as needed
- Curiosity about the Museum programming and the ability to communicate that to guests in an engaging and inclusive way