Manager, Member Services & Visitor Experience ...
Posted: Jul, 06, 2016
150 S Cottage Hill, Elmhurst, IL, Unknown
30 hours per week. Including weekend and evening hours.
Elmhurst Art Museum is looking for a personable and problem-solving candidate with excellent customer service and sales skills to represent the Museum as the first point of contact with guests onsite and on the phone. This is an important position on the Museum team with responsibility for creating a positive experience for museum visitors.
Just as visits to the Museum are enjoyable, educational, and inspirational, we aim to provide products that foster day-to-day enjoyment and appreciation of art of our time. The Manager of Visitor Services will work closely with the Executive Director and to assure that the front desk and museum store aligns with the content and values of the Museum’s programming
The Museum is located in Elmhurst (IL), 14 miles from Chicago’s West Loop, easily accessible by public transportation on the Metra. It is an exciting time to join the Museum as we embark on expanded programming and exhibitions focused on modern and contemporary art and design, including one of only three houses in the US designed by Mies van der Rohe.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Greeting visitors, processing admission fees and providing guests with information about the museum and exhibitions
- Light bookkeeping to reconcile cash receipts for admissions, the shop and the cafe at end of day, preparing admissions and sales reports as needed.
- Communicating the vision, business strategy and brand to Museum staff and volunteers
- Supervise all daily operations, including accounting processes and online order fulfillment.
- Proactively upgrading visitors to members and receiving donations
- Providing enthusiastic customer service by answering questions about the Museum exhibits, merchandise, public programs and event rentals
- Answering incoming calls regarding visitor information, museum exhibitions, class registrations, memberships, programs and more.
- Managing visitor services staff and volunteer schedules and coordinating additional staff during events and programs
- Assisting Education and Exhibition staff with guided tours for school groups and adults
- Manage all aspects of, and create a vibrant and profitable new direction for the Museum’s shop and online store, including developing a new merchandising mix that utilizes the Museum’s exhibitions.
- Updating inventory and processing sales for Elmhurst Artist Guild original artwork and providing monthly sales reports
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree.
- Previous retail, front-of-house restaurant or customer service experience.
- Proven success in managing and achieving superior retail/merchandising results.
- Able to analyze and report on sales and inventory including profit and loss trends.
- Proven success in merchandising, updating, and managing an online retail site.
- Ability to multitask (i.e. explain Museum content while processing transactions).
- Willingness to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as needed.
- Curiosity about the Museum programming and the ability to communicate that to guests in an engaging and inclusive way.