The Dance Instructor is a part time position responsible for providing instruction of dance classes at levels beginning through advanced while providing high quality training to all age groups. This position is under the direct supervision of the Dance Coordinator.
Salary: $21-$24 per hour
Schedule: Part Time
- Monday-ballet and modern-4:30pm-8pm (beginning January 2018) @ Fort Hill Activity Center
- Thursday-ballet-4:15-7pm (Beginning October 19) @ Alfred Rubin Riverwalk Community Center
****Experience teaching ballet, jazz, hip-hop and tap are required*****
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set annual goals for students.
- Plan and instruct dance classes at progressive levels.
- Provide recommendations for curriculum enhancement to Dance Academy Coordinator and Program Manager.
- Prepare choreography and select music for recital pieces and/or story production if applicable to be approved by Dance Academy Coordinator and Program Manager.
- Provide a fun, encouraging and disciplined atmosphere.
- Select costumes for recital, work within a budget and determine sizes for each student.
- Provide support at dress rehearsals and recital performances.
- Communicate course information to students and parents.
- Attend instructor meetings.
- Communicate requested information to Dance Academy Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Evaluate student performance with recommendations for progression in the dance program.
- Prepare mid-year evaluation forms for all of your recital students.
- Assist in distributing and collecting fundraising materials, handouts and costumes.
- Track student attendance including late arrival and early departure to address any concerns.
- Communicate any concerns, including student behavior/attendance, to Dance Coordinator and Program Manager in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate and support Dance Academy policies.
- Demonstrate and support Park District customer service standards.
- Follow district and departmental safety, personnel, and administrative policies, procedures and ordinances.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expert knowledge of dance.
- Ability to instruct dance to students of all ages.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Demonstrate initiative, flexibility and creativity.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (i.e., professional ability to attend to customer needs).
- Ability to address complaints and resolve concerns as needed.
- Demonstrate leadership, dependability, patience and concern for others.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere (i.e., ability to communicate well with other instructors).
Education and Experience:
- Extensive dance training required.
- Professional performing experience preferred.
- Subject to modified/flexible work schedule during high volume work periods.
- Subject to inside environmental conditions.
- Ability to occasionally lift light weight (20 lbs.) objects.